Set sail for the shores of beautiful Lake Michigan and the city of Chicago! Get ready for a weekend of origami fun at the Chicago OrigamiUSA Convention (COcon) 2022, October 28–30, 2022. Make Chicago your kind of folding town! Please send any questions about COcon to cocon [at] origamiusa.org.
We will be at the newly-renovated DoubleTree by Hilton Magnificent Mile, a great location just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue, aka Mag Mile, and surrounded by restaurants and shopping.
- OrigamiUSA membership is not required.
- Registration is limited to the first 150 folders! There will be a wait list once we are full.
- A "No-frills" convention: no bags, no T-shirt, no convention book.
- BYOS (Bring Your Own Stuff).
- We will provide a Welcome Kit with one package of kami paper.
- No special guest folders (everyone is a special guest!)
- Two full days of classes from beginner to complex on Saturday and Sunday.
- Enjoy the company of fellow folders in a banquet-hall-sized community folding room.
- All-night folding Friday and Saturday in the community room.
- Special origami exhibit (Free to the public Sat/Sun 9:00 am–5:00 pm).
There are lots of links on this site for you to learn from. Here’s a quick overview of the most important.
- August 15, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration opens.
- August 15, 1:00 pm–October 3, 1:00 pm EDT — Registration for teaching classes.
- October 13, 1:00 pm EDT — COcon Value Deal price increases to $180.
- October 13, 1:00 pm EDT — Deadline for refund with cancellation.
- October 24, 1:00 pm EDT — CVD and Dinner no longer available.
- October 25, 1:00 pm EDT — Class schedule posted.
- October 28, 7:00 pm CDT — COcon begins!
We have a COcon Value package that includes 2 days of classes, Saturday buffet dinner, and a welcome kit for a bargain of $170! More details on the registration page.
The convention will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Magnificent Mile with a fantastic low room rate of $155/night.
All participants must be vaccinated against COVID-19, must provide proof of vaccination as part of registration, and must bring their proof of vaccination to the event. Further details are on the registration page.
Via air or land, here's how to get to Chicago.
We are excited to have America's Origami Shop at COcon if you want to shop for books and paper.
For an hourly breakdown visit the Hours page.
Friday, October 28
Friday night begins with registration at 7:00 pm, Exhibition setup, and community folding and socializing.
Saturday, October 29
Saturday is the first day of classes. Registration begins at 8:30 am; classes run from 10:00am–5:00pm. Saturday night is a buffet dinner. Exhibition will be open all day long, with community folding into the night.
Sunday, October 30
Sunday is the second day of classes. Registration begins at 8:30 am; classes run from 10:00am–5:00pm. Exhibition will be open until 5:00 pm; the community folding room will be open until 11:45 pm.